Semester abroad

Outgoing & Exchange Students

Outgoing Students

Semester abroad for students at Karlshochschule

For Karlshochschule, international exchange and the associated intercultural experience are a fundamental part of the didactic concept. The integrated stay at a university abroad in the fourth and fifth semesters of my Bachelor’s degree and the continuous support of the International Office make it much easier for me to organize this. Thanks to Karlshochschule’s large network, I have the choice of many partner universities.

A semester abroad gives me the opportunity to gain new experiences and broaden my horizons. I can increase my intercultural competence, improve my foreign language skills and get to know a new learning culture. At the same time, I can make international contacts that can help me later in my career. Information events and various workshops on intercultural preparation round off the services offered by the International Office. With the help of various financing options, I can also manage my semester abroad financially. I don’t pay any additional tuition fees at the partner universities. I will also remain enrolled at Karlshochschule for my entire semester abroad. I can also complete my compulsory internship in the sixth semester with an organization abroad.

Linguistic and cultural preparation for the stay abroad

Karlshochschule attaches great importance to the language training of its students and expects them to be proficient in English and the teaching language of the partner university (if not English) at B2 level by the time of their stay abroad. To this end, it offers a broad language program that includes courses in English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish.

In addition, intensive German courses are offered during the semester break (depending on demand). Of course, I am also free to learn a third or fourth foreign language. But the linguistic preparation for the stay abroad is not everything: several weeks before departure, I start with the intercultural preparation, which is organized by the International Office. And when I return, I reflect on my stay abroad in the intercultural follow-up.

Recognition of academic achievements and internships

Students who go abroad can be sure that their academic achievements and internships will be recognized, provided certain conditions are met. This is because it is clearly defined between the student, the home university and the host university or the host company in advance of the stay abroad what work is to be done and how it will be credited. At the end, for example, all compulsory modules are listed in the Transcript of Records and many voluntary achievements in the Diploma Supplement.

Financing the semester abroad

Students at Karlshochschule can apply for various scholarships to finance their semester abroad, depending on the region and duration. I can find all the information about this in the info boxes for ERASMUS, PROMOS and the Baden-Württemberg Scholarship.

Erasmus+ Program

1 What is Erasmus+?

Erasmus+ is the European Union’s program for education, youth and sport. Erasmus+ combines the previous EU programs for lifelong learning, youth and sport as well as the European cooperation programs in the field of higher education.

Erasmus+ has a budget of around 26.2 billion euros. More than four million people will benefit from EU funds by 2028. The seven-year programme aims to improve skills and employability and modernize education and training systems as well as child and youth services. Information on Erasmus+ can be found on the website and in the factsheet of the European Commission.

With Erasmus+, students can study at a European partner university in another participating country after completing their first year of study in order to expand their social and cultural skills and improve their career prospects. You will get to know the academic system of a foreign university as well as its teaching and learning methods. Erasmus internships can also be completed in companies or organizations in other European countries. Stays are funded in all program countries.

The maximum duration of funding is 12 months for Bachelor’s, Master’s and doctoral students.

Erasmus+ also contributes to the further internationalization of universities by funding short-term lectureships and further education stays for teaching and administrative staff. Furthermore, the universities can invite company personnel from abroad to teach and can now also participate in multilateral strategic partnerships with other European partners (also from the non-academic sector) and jointly develop innovative projects (e.g. in the area of curriculum development or on cross-educational topics). Erasmus+ offers funding for cooperation with industry in the new knowledge alliances. Universities wishing to engage in capacity building in third countries can do so through the program’s international university partnerships.

Funding for most mobility measures and the Strategic Partnerships is awarded by the National Agencies in the 33 program countries (28 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, FYR Macedonia, Norway, Turkey). In Germany, this task is still performed by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).


Any higher education institution wishing to participate in and/or apply to the EU Education, Training, Youth and Sport Program 2021 – 2027/8 (hereinafter referred to as “the Program”) must have a valid Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE). The ECHE was awarded by the European Commission. It proves that a university meets all the requirements for successful participation in the Erasmus+ program. In accordance with the requirements of the European Commission, both the ECHE and the European Policy Statement (EPS) must be published on the university’s website.

1.2 Liability clause

“This project was funded with support from the European Commission. This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.”

For further information and advice on Erasmus+ mobility measures, please contact

German Academic Exchange Service
National Agency for EU Higher Education Cooperation
Kennedyallee 50, 53155 Bonn

  • Phone: +49 228 882-8877
  • Fax: +49 228 882-555
  • E-mail:

2. funding rates for semesters abroad and internships abroad

The financial support for Erasmus+ student stays is based on the different costs of living in the destination countries (“program countries”).

For the calculation of Erasmus+ funding rates for study and work placement visits (SMS/SMP), a distinction is made between three country groups:

Group 1 (600 euros per month): Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden.

Group 2 (540 euros per month): Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain.

Group 3 (490 euros per month): Bulgaria, Estonia, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Republic of North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Turkey, Hungary.

Erasmus+ trainees receive an additional 150 euros per month.

PROMOS Scholarship

Students who complete a semester abroad at a non-European partner university and/or an internship in a non-European country can apply for a PROMOS scholarship. Karlshochschule International University regularly receives funding of around €8,000 as part of the BMBF/DAAD-funded PROMOS scholarship program. The scholarships usually comprise a monthly scholarship installment or a travel allowance.

Regularly enrolled students of Karlshochschule International University are eligible to apply. Scholarship holders are selected on the basis of their academic performance, knowledge of the language of instruction at the host university, motivation, social and intercultural skills and commitment both within and outside the university. Interested students should note the application deadlines, which will be communicated in good time by the International Office.

Note for recipients of BAföG or other scholarships:

Merit-based scholarships such as PROMOS remain free of charge up to an amount of 300 euros; the amount above this is offset against the BAföG entitlement. The Deutschlandstipendium and PROMOS grants can be received simultaneously without restriction. In the case of scholarships from other scholarship providers, a combination of scholarships from private funds with PROMOS scholarships is generally possible without restriction. Scholarships from public funds from donors or funding institutions in Germany may not pursue the same funding purpose (semester abroad). In addition, any PROMOS funding must also be declared to the other scholarship providers.

Baden-Württemberg Foundation

The aim of the Baden-Württemberg-STIPENDIUM for students is to promote the international exchange of highly qualified German and foreign students. Ties between the universities of the state of Baden-Württemberg and their foreign partners are to be developed and strengthened in accordance with the principle of reciprocity.

The Baden-Württemberg-STIPENDIUM thus contributes to the global networking of people associated with Baden-Württemberg.

The continuous expansion of this network is supported by the regional chapters and the Association of Scholarship Holders and Friends of the Baden-Württemberg-STIPENDIUM.

Further information can be found at .

The target groups are students of Karlshochschule International University who can demonstrate very good performance and want to expand their professional and intercultural competence by studying at a non-Erasmus partner university.

Karlshochschule receives scholarships of around 10,000 euros for its students. Scholarship holders are selected on the basis of their academic performance, knowledge of the language of instruction at the host university, motivation, social and intercultural skills and commitment both within and outside the university. Interested students should note the application deadlines, which will be communicated in good time by the International Office.

Note for recipients of BAFöG:

Merit-based scholarships such as PROMOS remain free of charge up to an amount of 300 euros; the amount above this is offset against the BAföG entitlement.

BAFöG abroad

A brief overview of BAföG abroad can be found in the Studentenwerke flyer“Mit BAföG ins Ausland“. Special offices for the promotion of education are responsible for BAföG funding abroad. Since January 1, 2008, the entire course of study, including graduation, has been eligible for funding within the EU member states and Switzerland. Outside the EU, after a one-year start-up phase in Germany, training can be funded for up to one year and up to five semesters in total. As a rule, a maximum of one year of study abroad does not count towards the maximum BAföG funding period.

In addition to the costs incurred during a stay abroad, half of the following costs are paid as a grant and the other half as an interest-free loan:

Foreign surcharges to equalize purchasing power (only outside the EU and Switzerland)

International health insurance

Travel expenses within Europe for a return trip of 250 euros each

Travel expenses outside Europe for a return trip of 500 euros each

For verifiably necessary tuition fees at the foreign university, the additional grant amounts to a maximum of one year b 4,600 euros/year. Further information can be found at:

Further DAAD scholarships and funding programs

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers the largest and most comprehensive scholarship and funding programs for German students, primarily through financial support from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BBF). Depending on the funding objective and program type, partial or full scholarships are awarded, the monthly rate of which is based on country-specific criteria.

Scholarships for shorter stays abroad in structured programs are applied for via Karlshochschule (PROMOS scholarship, Baden-Württemberg STIPENDIUM). Applications for one-year scholarships or other regional or subject-specific scholarships should be submitted directly to the DAAD.

Information on DAAD scholarships and funding programs can be found here.

And here more about the annual DAAD award ceremony. On September 26, 2022, this was awarded to our student Serine Enstaad.

Scholarships abroad from other organizations and institutions

Foundations finance stays abroad during the course of study, but often require acceptance for funding at an earlier stage. Examples include the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, the Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH, the Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes and party-affiliated foundations. When searching for suitable foundations, you should start with the databases of the Association of German Foundations (Bundesverband deutscher Stiftungen ) as well as the University Talent Promotion Program ( Begabtenförderung im Hochschulbereich ).

Numerous external organizations offer merit-based full or partial scholarships for stays abroad. A selection of these organizations:

Scholarship databases, e.g. MyStipendium

Scholarship programs of the Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes

Scholarships for study and research stays as well as for internships abroad (Europe, Asia, USA), among others:

Haniel Foundation: Various scholarships for (mostly business-related) short or postgraduate studies and internships abroad (Europe, Asia, USA)

Fulbright Commission: Scholarships for one-year study visits to US universities and travel grants

Association of German-American Clubs (VDAC): Scholarships for study visits to selected US universities

Asia Exchange: Scholarships for study visits to four specific universities: Udayana University (Indonesia), Kasetsart University (Thailand), Prince of Songkla University (Thailand), Guangzhou University (China)

Institut Ranke-Heinemann: Full, partial and travel grants for a study visit to Australia or New Zealand

GOstralia!Scholarships for a study visit to Australia

Gemeinschaft für studentischen Austausch in Mittel- und Osteuropa (GFPS) e.V.: Scholarships for study or research stays in Poland and the Czech Republic

German-Czech Future Fund: Scholarships for study visits to the Czech Republic

Dr. Jost-Henkel Foundation: Scholarships for internships outside Germany

Education loan

Another option for financing a stay abroad is the low-interest educational loan. All German students are eligible to apply; further information can be found on the website of the Federal Office of Administration. The Center for Higher Education Development (CHE) has examined various loan providers more closely.

Together with the leading German study placement agency IEC Online GmbH, Deutsche Bildung AG has developed a special study grant for semesters abroad. Students from all disciplines can apply for funding of up to 25,000 euros specifically for their international study visit. The minimum amount is 3,500 euros. Repayment depends on future personal income. Further information can be found here.

Exchange Students

Semester abroad at Karlshochschule

You come to Karlshochschule as an exchange student from one of the many partner universities around the world. Internationality and the exchange between cultures are part of our everyday life. At our small international university, you will receive individual support with your application, preparation for your arrival, bureaucratic processes and all questions on site. The orientation program and intercultural activities during the semester will provide you with all the important information you need to quickly feel at home at Karlshochschule.

Exchange students can spend their semester abroad at Karlshochschule within the framework of official exchange agreements with our partner universities (ERASMUS+ or bilateral agreements). You have the opportunity to come to Karlshochschule for a semester or the entire academic year.

The application for an exchange semester is made via the International Office of the home institution, partner university of the Karls. If you would like to join us as an exchange student, please contact your coordinators and ask them to nominate you to the Karlshochschule International Office.

Application process

Nomination and application deadlines:
Start of the semester abroad in the winter semester: April 30
Start of the semester abroad in the summer semester: October 30

You can only apply for the coming semester if we have received a nomination from your home university. As soon as we receive it, we will contact you and inform you about the next steps. You can then upload the required documents via our online application portal. As soon as we have received and checked your application, we will send you the letter of acceptance and all further information about your study abroad program.

Application requirements:

  • Nomination from your home university
  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of English (at least B2)
  • Valid health insurance

English language skills B2 or higher according to CEFR:

We accept the following documents:

  • IELTS with at least 6.0 points
  • Internet-based TOEFL score with at least 80 points
  • Confirmation of English level B2 or higher from the International Office or language teacher at your home university

Course offer

As an exchange student, you will be integrated into the regular study program. You can find an overview of our Bachelor’s degree programs here. You can also take German courses, which are offered specifically for international students, or a language course in another foreign language.


There are no additional tuition fees for exchange students who come to Karlshochschule from one of our partner universities.

Free-mover students (link to the text passage below “Free-mover students”) are subject to tuition fees.

All students pay a contribution of €67.70 to the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe, which allows them to use various services provided by the Studierendenwerk.

My way to Karlsruhe

For your stay abroad at Karlshochschule, there are a few formalities you need to take into account, such as valid health insurance or a visa. It is also important that you look for an apartment in Karlsruhe in good time. Below you will find a list of what you need to consider before entering the country. The International Office will be happy to advise you on your preparations.


Citizens from countries outside the EU or EEA who wish to study in Germany generally require a residence permit or student visa to enter the country. As a rule, student visas are now issued for the entire duration of the stay. If this is not the case, the student must apply for a residence permit before the visa expires.

Applicants from certain countries can enter Germany without a visa. If they stay longer than 90 days, they require a residence permit for students. This residence permit must be applied for in Germany at the relevant immigration authority. This applies to the following countries.

Nevertheless, we advise ALL STUDENTS to apply for a student visa in advance at the German representation in their home country. As student visas for exchange students are usually issued for the entire duration of their stay, this eliminates the bureaucratic effort on site.

Citizens who enter the country on a tourist visa cannot convert this into a study visa after entering the country.

The visa application must be accompanied by a letter of acceptance from Karlshochschule and proof that you are able to finance your living costs from your own assets or income. Students can obtain details on the visa application procedure from the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in their home country or on the websites of the Embassy and the Federal Foreign Office.

Important: Please start the visa process as early as possible so that you receive your visa on time and can enter the country at the desired time.

All information on the regulations is subject to change. Please check the current requirements with the German embassy or consulate in your home country.

Click here to go to the Visa Navigator of the Federal Foreign Office.

Health insurance

International students must have sufficient health insurance cover in order to be enrolled at a German university. Social security agreements exist with countries of the European Union and the European Economic Area. If students have statutory health insurance in their home country, they will receive the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). On presentation of the EHIC, students can claim insurance cover in Germany from a statutory health insurance fund.

Students from Turkey: Germany has a special agreement with Turkey under which Turkish health insurance policies are recognized. The A/T11 certificate is required to carry out the recognition. Please contact your Turkish health insurance company so that they can issue you with this certificate.

Other health insurance policies from abroad can also be recognized in Germany under certain circumstances. In order to be able to check this, students must bring the exact list of benefits and the dates of validity of the health insurance taken out in German or English. These are submitted to a German statutory health insurance company for recognition.

Due to a change, most insurance policies are no longer recognized, so we recommend that non-European students take out statutory or private health insurance in Germany. Statutory health insurance covers, among other things, medical treatment by doctors and dentists, hospital stays and the provision of medicines, dressings, remedies and aids.

Important: In most cases, travel or international insurance is not sufficient for enrollment.

If you are planning to take up a student union contract, a student assistant job or part-time employment during your stay, you are obliged to take out German health insurance.

Bank account

We recommend that all students who are not from the EU open a bank account in Germany, as foreign bank accounts can incur fees and costs for every transaction and cash withdrawal.

If you want to finance your studies with a student job, employers generally require a German bank account for the transfer of your salary. Most German banks have accounts specifically for students, which are often free to open and can easily be closed once you have finished your studies.


It is not always easy to find an apartment in Karlsruhe, as many students are looking for accommodation at the start of the semester. That’s why it’s important that you start looking for accommodation as early as possible, even before you arrive in Karlsruhe! Karlshochschule does not arrange rooms and does not have a hall of residence itself – it is your responsibility to find accommodation. We try to support you in your search for accommodation by providing information on how to apply to a student hall of residence or links to find a shared flat. You can find all the links and tips here.

Orientation program

Together with our student initiative “KarlsBuddies”, the International Office will help you during the orientation program to tackle all the bureaucratic steps that need to be taken in the course of studying abroad – e.g. registering with the city, applying for a residence permit, choosing a health insurance company or opening a bank account. We will answer all your questions about procedures at the university, everyday questions about life in Karlsruhe and in Germany. Together with the KarlsBuddies, we undertake various activities so that you are quickly integrated and your semester abroad is a complete success. If you start your studies abroad in the winter semester, there will be a whole week of introduction together with all first semester students starting at the Karls.

Find all the important information on MyKarls and in the Freshies Guide.

Free-mover students

Your home university is not a partner university of the Karls?

Your home university is not on the list of partner universities, but you would still like to come to us for your semester abroad? You can still study with us as a so-called “free-mover”. Please note that you will incur fees here. Contact the International Office for more information about admission and the application process:

Overview of tuition fees & financing

Your contact

Eva Hilla de Menacho
Mobility Coordinator
Phone: 0721 48095-308